The Best of November
I love roundup blog posts. This post revisits some of my favorites that may have been buried on my social media feeds and mentions a few new finds. Here are some of the highlights of what I've been watching, reading, eating, and enjoying this month:
This month on the blog I began a newsletter. I wanted to create a space that is a bit more personal, so I will be sending an email newsletter to subscribers once a month beginning in December. Email is one of my favorite ways of communicating, and I know I always love when I receive something in my inbox that isn't a promotion or a "to do." I hope you'll join me and subscribe!
Links I've pondered:
- On silence, secrecy, and the first trimester: I'm pregnant, so why can't I tell you?
- The title basically says it all, but it's still worth a read: Dear World: Let's stop giving our crap to the poor
- Does age correlate with agency? I'm not so sure: The Agency Moment
- The grammar nerd in me is rejoicing: How to make your last name plural this Christmas season
- I agree (and may make a few enemies for saying that): No, you're not "running late," you're rude and selfish
Recipes we've devoured:
- Winter Blend Spice Mix in my coffee
- Mushroom Marsala soup
- Homemade Thin Mints--warning: these are dangerously simple to make!
- Black bean and beet veggie burgers
Books I've loved (or tolerated):
Stay tuned for reviews on the 15th of each month and follow me on Goodreads to see my ratings
- Building a Life Out of Words
Lots of GOE prep:
- Understanding Christian Doctrine
- Episcopal Questions, Episcopal Answers
- The Principles of Christian Theology
- The Liturgy Explained
- What We Keep
- Everything Is Illuminated
- Why I am an Atheist Who Believes in God
Shows we're inhaling:
- Now that the holiday season is in full swing, we've been watching cheesy Christmas movies on Hallmark and Lifetime. It's my not-so-secret guilty pleasure. Every year, I must get my fix of bad acting, predictable storylines, and groan-worthy one-liners. My favorite so far? "All I want for Christmas is--you."
- Shark Tank is a new addition to our DVR. My entrepreneurial spirit won't quit!
Products I'm enjoying:
- Printed flannel sheets: Two points worth making here. One, prints are fantastic. You always know which way to put on the fitted sheet because the print is directed towards the head of the bed. Two, flannel sheets are the coziest. Seriously. How did I go my entire life without knowing about them?
- Candy Cane Joe Joe's: We love these things. If you have a Trader Joe's, go get some. If you don't, I'm sorry. You can buy them on Amazon for a ridiculous price if you're curious. At least the expense helps with portion control!
- Jeep Wrangler: We broke down and bought a (used) SUV. After getting stuck in the snow one too many times in our tiny city cars, we decided that the lost gas mileage was worth the extra power and utility. Yay four-wheel drive! We've got a plan about reducing our gas costs and carbon footprint that involves flexible schedules. If it's of interest at all, let me know and I can share it on the blog soon.